Wednesday, January 6, 2010

But I liked to smoke :-(

So, I finally bent to the will of the masses of busy-bodies who had some weird fixation with my smoking a legal product. Smokers are the only group that you can legally discriminate against in America. You can't pick on blacks, asians, short people or anyone different from you but you can damn near shoot a smoker in the street in broad daylight with nary a whisper of concern from anyone but another smoker. Especially if you can show you were being exposed to second hand smoke as you stood outside a liquor store by a diesel belching exhaust. Anyway, I caved and decided to quit this vile habit. My friends, who had quit, told me of this magical drug I could take which would allow me to quit without murdering anyone. I thought that providence had finally smiled on me and off to the Doc I went. The Doc told me that yes this miracle drug exists and here is your prescription because you really should quit smoking the devil's weed. I took the miracle drug for 4 months and I did in fact quit smoking. See, what a happy tale...except for the next part. It seems that sometimes, actually about 1 in 100,000 people can become very very addicted to this miracle drug and when they stop taking it the bad really begins. I am one of those 1 in 100k. I now take 3 pills, all powerful anti depressants to help me get over what my new Doc calls one of the worse cases of drug withdrawal she's ever seen. Hell, she's brought other docs in just to see how frak'd up I am. When I first saw my new Doc, her response to my symptoms was "Oh my God, thats incredible!" You know you've really transcended the everyday when your Doc says something like that to your face. The moral to this story? Be careful of miracle claims, they're usually BS and come with a cost...one you'll be paying.

No comments:

Post a Comment